Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stupid *#@%& Computer Viruses

Has this happened to you?  Last night one of those phony anti-virus programs installed itself on my desktop and soon was reminding me that it, and it alone, could rid my computer of the plague.  Most of what I know about computers I learned from fixing things I myself messed up, and such is the case in dealing with this type of computer worm.   The phony anti-virus worm has hit me twice before.

Here's how to get rid of it.

Windows Vista or Windows 7
  1. Click the start button
  2. In the search field at the bottom, type RESTORE.
  3. Select Backup and Restore Center
  4. On the left side the window, click Repair Windows using System Restore.
  5. The software will then reset your computer to a state BEFORE the virus installed itself.
Windows XP
  1. Click Start
  2. Click All Programs
  3. Select Accessories, then System Tools, then System Restore
  4. The software will lead you through the few remaining steps.
The process takes a few minutes and a lot of grinding by the hard drive to complete.

System Restore can also help with other virus infestations and software glitches.


Time now for me to update my firewall/virus software.


No comments:

Post a Comment