Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wounded Warrior 5k

The topic for an upcoming edition of my public affairs program, Hampton Roads Topics, is the Spartyka Wounded Warrior 5k.  It's a fundraiser for the Wounded Warrior Project.  My guests were one of the organizers, Rebecca Desjardins, and the Warrior of the Day, Mike Day.

I'll admit to being a little apprehensive about talking to Mike.  Why?  Because Mike is a retired Navy SEAL who survived being shot more than two dozen times during a raid in Iraq in 2007.  And he has had a hard time with post traumatic stress disorder.

I prepared for the interview with my usual research, but I couldn't help but worry.  How do I interview a hero who has been places and experienced things I can't even imagine without seeming ignorant or patronizing?

Mike, of course, was a great guest, willingly discussing the shootout in Iraq, his injuries, his recovery, and his later battles with emotional distress. To his credit, Mike admitted he was not one to talk about himself or his life but he forces himself to do so today to help others dealing with PTSD.

You can hear my interview with Warrior of the Day Mike Day at 6am on Sunday, March 20th, on these stations:  92.9 The Wave, Star 1310, ESPN Radio 94.1 and 97.3 The Eagle.

For details about joining or supporting the Spartyka Wounded Warrior 5k, visit spartykanation.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment