Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Blog at One Year

Today marks the first anniversary of my first post on this blog.  In that post, you'll see a photo of my big, ugly sneakers and some information about how and where you can recycle old shoes.

In the one year since that first post, I've written about all things recycling:  recycling electronics, recycling paper and metal, even recycling car safety seats.  If you can't already tell, recycling is a regular part of my life.  I started this blog so that when I spot something useful, I can share it easily.  I also wrote about a variety of other topics this year.

The most intriguing to me was the mysterious booming noise heard over most of south Hampton Roads in May.  With a few e-mails to various agencies and some digging on the Internet, I learned that such occurrences have been reported near bodies of water around the world, dating back centuries.  I also enjoyed writing about my first ride on Norfolk's light rail system, which happened on the day of the earthquake.  And there was Hurricane Irene, just a few days after the earthquake.

My most popular topic, judging by the stats report, involved the nationwide shortage of the ADHD drug Adderall.  A lot of people, my family included, have been having trouble filling our prescriptions for several months.

In all, 196 blog posts in 365 days.  That includes my middle of the night, insomnia-induced stream of consciousness ramble about...George Plimpton.

This being a leap year, I have one extra day to write.  I wonder if can eclipse the past year's mark of 196 posts.  Or, if I can't beat the quantity, perhaps I can improve on the quality.  We shall see...

Back to recycling.  Today I recycled two fluorescent bulbs that had been gathering dust in my house for over a year.  Batteries-Plus locations will accept fluorescent bulbs and most batteries, including those tiny button batteries, for recycling.  And I recycled a mess of CD's at my local Best Buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment