Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Super Double Coupon Day at Farm Fresh

I just got back from a round of shopping at Farm Fresh during Super Double Coupon Day (thanks, Laura Oliver!).  I know it's not a very exciting topic, but you should know that I got a pretty decent haul of groceries for under $18.00. 

I kept my goals simple:  buy things that are on sale, that I had coupons for, and that we regularly use.  The list was less that ten items long and included General Mills cereal (2 for $5.00 minus a $1 coupon that was doubled) and Cape Cod potato chips (same deal as the cereal).

The real big saver was Tide detergent.  The 50 ounce bottle was on sale for half price, plus I had a $2.00 coupon that was doubled.  Final price:  two bucks.

In fact, Tide was cheaper at Farm Fresh than at our local warehouse store, BJ's.  Even before the coupon, Tide's sale price was $0.12 per ounce.  The hernia-inducing megabottle of Tide at BJ's was regularly priced at $0.16 an ounce.

However, I have found BJ's beats the grocery stores on most of the items we buy regularly.  In about two dozen price comparisons (yes, I'll admit to tracking these things), today's Tide purchase was the first and only time the store price beat the BJ's price.  The Cape Cod potato chips I bought today were still cheaper by the ounce at BJ's, even with the Farm Fresh sale price and coupons factored in.

Price comparisons; sale prices on Tide...I must sound like a real dullard.  There is, though, some satisfaction in scoring a great deal, even if it is for laundry detergent.

Mr. Excitement...out.

No comments:

Post a Comment