Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Early Morning Musings

The waking hour is such an odd time of day for me.  It's usually around 2:30am that I'll either roll over and go back to sleep or lie there with the most bizarre train of thought going through my head.

Such is the case today, when the subject of my 2:45am musing was, well, George Plimpton.  Yes, the late author and sports writer...that George Plimpton.  I was thinking about people with distinctive accents and his name just popped out of nowhere.

Anyway, his name took my train of thought to 1986, when, as a radio rookie in Lynchburg, I and several other reporters gathered around Plimpton, who was giving a talk later in the day at Sweet Briar College.  I had certainly heard of George Plimpton, having read The Curious Case of Sidd Finch, Plimpton's famous April Fool's Day prank article in Sports Illustrated, a few months earlier.

Each reporter was given a chance to ask a question.  Being an NBA nut at the time, I asked him some roundabout question about his time covering the Boston Celtics in the 1960's.  I knew that Plimpton had written about the experience, but, of course, I hadn't read it.  I'm not into self-loathing, but I'll admit here and now that compared to the 2011 version, the 1986 edition Jim Long was a moron.

So this morning had me wondering...what should I have asked him about that day?  Here's what I came up with.

"Good morning, Mr. Plimpton, it's a pleasure to meet you.  I'm Jim Long from WLVA radio.  My question...video games are made for children, particularly teenage boys, wouldn't you agree?  Why then, are you, a Harvard-educated, stuffy sounding, middle-aged man who is way outside the target demo, the featured spokesman for the Intellivision?"

Well, maybe I would be a little less sarcastic, but you get the idea.  The alarm just went off.  Time to go daydream at work.


No comments:

Post a Comment