Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Fiat 500

Today I write about something I have been looking forward to for some time:  Consumer Reports' review of the new Fiat 500.  Sadly, the magazine finds that the 500 does not measure up.

In the October issue, Consumer Reports opines that the 500 is agile, nimble and fun to drive.  They add the mini-car's ride is choppy, its control layout is flawed, and its driving position is awkward.

These demerits were not unexpected.  The 500 is tiny, so it should have a choppy, jumpy ride.  And Italian cars have never been known for their reliability. But Consumer Reports, which usually waits for reliability data before giving a car a thumbs up or down, has come out and said it will not recommend the Fiat because it scores too low.

That's not to say the Fiat 500 doesn't have its fans.  The guys on Top Gear love it.  James "Capt. Slow" May says it "drives brilliantly." Richard Hammond called it a "fizzy little car."  Fiat is selling the 500 with a ton of different looks, including a convertible version.  I personally think the 500c with a red and white interior looks great...kind of like the inside of a Johnny Rockets restaurant.

I should point out that I'm not looking to buy a Fiat 500 or any new car, for that matter;  I doubt I could afford one.  But despite my own reputation as "Capt. Slow" and the fact that I'm a big guy, I have always had a thing for small cars, particularly five door hatchbacks.  And when something new, something innovative comes along, I find myself rooting for it.

If I were in the market for a new, small car, the sharp looking 2011 Ford Focus hatchback would be at the top of my list.  I'm also a fan of the Mazda 2, and, although I doubt I could fit into one, the Mini Cooper.

I'm now looking forward to reviews on more small cars, including the electric Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt and the diminutive Scion IQ, which is about the size of a Smart Car but somehow has four seats.  I also like the looks of Top Gear's current "reasonably priced car," the Kia Cee'd, but it's not sold in the U.S.

Links:
Fiat USA's official site
James May races the Fiat 500 through Budapest

No comments:

Post a Comment