Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The I-95 Blues

Having now completed at least my eighth drive to and from Martha's Vineyard, I can now safely say that Connecticut is the most delay-prone state I've been in.

Interstate 95 covers just over 100 miles through Connecticut, between the cities of Port Chester and Mystic.  The trip through The Constitution State would take only about 90 minutes at highway speed but it often takes twice that, especially on the southbound side.  Delays are a matter of routine.

Before noon Monday we were caught twice in backups that were caused not by car accidents, but by the Connecticut Department of Transportation.  Both slowdowns, about five miles each, were the result of one of the two travel lanes being closed for road construction.

And it's not just I-95.  A look at Connecticut's Interactive Travel Map shows the state is literally peppered with construction zones.  I counted 25 construction zone icons on or near I-95 alone, one for every four miles of interstate.  The New Jersey Turnpike is a cakewalk compared to I-95 through Connecticut.

Love the annual vacation with Mary's family; hate the trip home from there.  Remind me to pack the Pepto before next year's trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment