Saturday, July 23, 2011

Photographer? Not Really. Guy with a Camera? Yes

For the first time in my life, I am a published photographer.  Virginian-Pilot columnist Mary Reid Barrow published my photo of a yellow-crowned night heron in Thursday's edition of "Close Encounters." 

My house is a short walk from Buchanan Creek, a tidal creek that snakes its way behind the Birchwood Gardens playground and out to Lynnhaven Inlet.  Mary and Delaney went out to the creek to hunt blackberries and I tagged along with my new Kodak Z981 digital camera.  It was birthday gift.  I've had it two months now and I'm still learning what it can do.

I felt lucky to get this shot of a yellow-crowned night heron through the trees.

But a short distance away Delaney spotted this guy, in plain view, not 30 feet from us.


Mary urged me to send the above photo to Mary Reid Barrow, whose wildlife column we look forward to every week.  I did but I thought it unlikely my shot would be published;  Barrow must get dozens of submissions from readers every week. 

Surprise!  Not only did she use my photo in Thursday's column, but she teased it in her column the Sunday before.  "Jim Long snapped a close-up of a handsome yellow-crowned night heron on Buchanan Creek in Birchwood Gardens. See his photo in Thursday’s Close Encounters," she wrote. 

Lessons learned.  Always carry a camera.  And trust my wife's instincts.

Links:
July 21st edition of "Close Encounters".
Mary Reid Barrow's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment