Thursday, August 2, 2012

Firefox, You're Letting Me Down

If I were writing this post as a Facebook update, it would look kind of like this...







Which is exactly how I'm feeling.  I'm getting aggravated that Firefox, my web browser of choice for over a decade now, is currently incapable of running Adobe's Flash Player, the engine that powers Youtube videos.  It has been going on for months with no resolution.

Any Flash object, be it a Youtube video, an animated web ad, or an online music player like Pandora, either shows up blank in Firefox or displays an error message.  The problem began a few months back when Firefox 13 and Flash Player 11 were released within days of each other.

I keep finding suggestions online that Mozilla, the makers of Firefox, and Adobe have released updates that fix the issue.  But I've had no luck yet, despite the fact that both Firefox and Flash Player are up to date.

I did find a fix that involved uninstalling Flash Player 11 and installing an older version, but that presents its own problems.  My wife, who usually uses Internet Explorer, was unable to view a page yesterday because it required the latest version of Flash.  So she updated Flash, leaving Firefox again unable to use the program.

I have been a Firefox user (and of its predecessor, Netscape) for many years.  I've always considered Firefox sleeker, quicker to load, and easier to use than Microsoft's bloated Internet Explorer software.  Until now, that is.  Firefox, which has been losing market share to Google's Chrome browser in recent months, may lose my loyalty, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment